Frequently Asked Questions

We understand moving is a big decision, so we’re here to help.

If your question is not answered below, please contact us at Greenways Village. We would be only too happy to answer all your questions.
Click the headings below to view answers

Which retirement village?

We recommend that you visit a number of villages and talk to the residents and staff as well as discussing the choices with family, friends and advisors.

Whilst there are many different financial, legal and physical aspects to investigate between different villages in one essential way choosing a retirement village is no different from choosing your previous homes; that sixth sense that tells you where you feel most at ease.

We are confident you will choose Greenways.

What type of contract is it when I buy at Greenways?

You receive a Lifetime Lease to live in your unit or apartment for life or until you choose to move out.

How secure is my contract?

Your tenure is secured under your Lifetime Lease, (the most common legal structure for entry to a Retirement Village in Victoria), and government legislation, the Retirement Villages Act 1986. Greenways Village is also listed on the Consumer Affairs Victoria retirement villages register.

How long is it from selecting my home to moving in?

It takes three to four months from the date you select your home. In that time you will sell and settle on your home, and we will renovate your unit to your specifications.

Buying vs. leasing

A comparable strata unit:

  • May have a higher ingoing cost
  • Incurs expensive stamp duty and legal fees
  • Involves body corporate obligations
  • And residents generally pay for all major maintenance and repairs

A leased unit at Greenways:

  • Is likely to have a lower ingoing cost
  • Involves no stamp duty
  • Attracts lower legal fees
  • Eliminates body corporate worries


  • The village owner pays for all major maintenance and repairs, not the residents
  • Leasing gives you the same security of tenure as buying a unit.
  • The Life Time Lease at Greenways is equally binding on the owner and the manager and ensures an ongoing commitment by them to the success and well being of the village and its residents.
  • All villages in Victoria are subject to the Retirement Villages Act.

How much does it cost?

Indicative prices are included on this web site but the Manager can provide you with a current price list and details of what units are available.

At Greenways we aim to keep the ingoing cost below other comparable villages. In addition, there is no stamp duty and the one-off legal fee is minimal.

But it is not only the ingoing cost that you need to consider when comparing different villages. The ongoing commitment and refund on departure are equally important.

Once you have selected a couple of villages where the location, amenities and accommodation suit you, the financial choice will usually be either...

A) a higher ingoing cost and ongoing commitment,

B) less money left in your pocket; but

C) a higher refund on departure.


A) a lower ingoing cost and ongoing commitment,

B) more money left in your pocket; but

C) a lower refund on departure.

At Greenways we have adopted the latter regime with the aim of providing certainty as to your total commitment over the whole of your time at the village and leaving as much money as possible in your hands for your retirement.

How much stamp duty will I pay for my home?

None. Stamp Duty does not apply at Greenways.

What is the quality and warranty on my new home?

Your accommodation is fully renovated before you move in to Greenways. The cost of these works is met by the Owners of the village. All maintenance, both inside and outside, to your unit or apartment, is the responsibility of Greenways.

What ongoing commitment is required?

A weekly maintenance charge [reviewed annually generally in line with CPI) is paid fortnightly in advance by all residents. For convenience and security this payment is be made via a direct bank debit.

It includes:

  • Council rates
  • Water rates
  • Use of water
  • Sewerage disposal charge
  • Insurance of your unit
  • Insurance of the common property
  • Personal liability insurance
  • Staff costs
  • 24 hour emergency call service
  • Street & security lighting
  • Lawn mowing
  • Gardening
  • Minor and preventative building maintenance.
  • Maintenance of appliances included in the unit i.e. stove, heater, hot water system.
  • Maintenance, servicing & cleaning of village centre & facilities.
  • Operation of village facilities including the Greenways Club, bus, motor vehicle, library, bowling green etc.
  • Contribution to a general reserve.  

Your outgoings are known and there are no costly surprises at Greenways.

How do I pay my maintenance fee?

Maintenance fees are paid fortnightly by direct debit from your account.

Does the maintenance fee increase over time?

Increases in the Maintenance Fee are regulated by the Retirement Villages Act. They are determined each year in consultation with the residents. Management prepares a budget in consultation with the Residents Committee, and annual accounts and budgets are presented to residents each year.

Do I need to pay council rates?

No. Council rates are included in your Maintenance Fee, which also covers other outgoings such as maintenance, staff costs, building and public liability insurance and gardening.

Are there any other ongoing costs?

You are responsible for normal services to your home such as gas, electricity, telecommunications and contents insurance.

Can I make changes to my home?

Generally speaking, yes, provided you first obtain the written consent of the Manager.

Are there medical facilities nearby?

Yes. There are a number of General Practitioners, specialists and hospitals located close to Greenways. A General Practitioner visits Greenways regularly.

Is there an emergency call system?

Yes. It is monitored 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by our own staff.

Are meals available?

Yes, meals are available. Greenways has a Dining Room that provides 2 course lunches and special occasion catering.

Who looks after my garden?

You have a choice. Our gardeners mow all the lawns and will look after your garden. However, if you enjoy gardening, can look after your own garden.

Are pets allowed?

We recognise that pets are an important part of your lives. So, yes, small house pets are most welcome.

Can family and friends visit and stay with me?

Yes, most certainly. It’s your home, and you’re more than welcome to have guests stay and enjoy the facilities with you. We do ask that you seek management permission if they’ll be staying with you for more than six weeks, both as a safety and courtesy measure.

How are disputes resolved at villages?

Disputes are extremely rare at Greenways. However, there is a process in place for disputes to be referred to Consumer Affairs Victoria or dealt with, at the option of the resident, under the village dispute resolution procedure. The internal dispute resolution procedure is available from the Manger. Consumer Affairs Victoria may be contacted at:

Consumer Affairs Victoria,
Level 2, 452 Flinders Street,
Melbourne Victoria 3000  

Telephone 1300 55 81 81 (local call charge)

Can I include my home in my Will?

Proceeds from the resale of your accommodation is paid to your Estate. Your Will can then specify the disbursement of funds in your estate.

Visit Greenways Village.
Call Sandra on 0433 883 228 to arrange an inspection today.